This is one very rare & desirable Cat. Only 497 were made.
This project has taken another turn. I could not find any one interested in this project, so I have decided to delay the 70 CJ & get this one ready for a new home!
It will now be rebuilt with factory upgrades like A/C & power disc brakes! Almost all the rust repairs have been completed and the body work is next! What do you think about Cardinal Red w/ a bit of metallic with a black interior?
Enjoy the latest pics. The car was put on the Auto Twirller, and the cutting began. This device is a must have doing this kind of work. It will help in the finish body work too! Notice that rust converter has been poured into the seams to seal the body upside down & right side too!
Update 12- 2017 The motor was poorly rebuilt.. Surprise! Well I took it apart & cleaned it out. Take a look at the rust! The pistons were removed & the block was cleaned out very well. The amount of crud I got out of the water jacket amounted to over 1 cup! Another surprise was the extra freeze plug inside the block. Guess they were too lazy to remove it , just push it in the block... no one will know!
2-2018 Well the original heads required a complete rebuild. New guides, valves & springs. Milled the heads flat. Block was cleaned again & brushed in all the galleys. I replaced all bearings. Motor is now ready to go.
The body is now at the media blasters awaiting it's flea bath & shower. A complete check of the motor is next. I was told it has about 10K miles on it. It looks great so far...
1970 XR-7 Q- Code 428 Cobra Jet
This Cat was found sitting in a backyard. Brought it home to the Cougar Rehab Center. The exploring started (cleaning) it out. The automatic floor shifter was 67-68 Cougar. I found the clutch pedal had been pushed to the floor & the carpet pulled over it. Trying to decode the VIN & the door info, found the door sticker was painted over & the windshield tag was covered in crud. Looking at the old emission sticker was the only easy place to find the VIN.
Only problem was 5th digit for the motor size was "0". This was a letter that Ford did not use... The only other letter it could be was "Q".
The owner had painted it with house paint & a roller!
Rough & worn
After media blasting
Upside down removing old quarter panel
1969 Sports Special "Mural Cat"
The owner of this Cougar is a long time friend. He has custom air brushed murals on most of his vehicles in his collection, so it was natural to do something kinda like that but different.
Retro 60’s & 70’s is the theme of this Cat.
The body & paint work car took around 5 years. Another sad paint shop horror story. This Cat’s luck has since changed.
It is now well on it’s way back to the Rocky Mountain Sun!
2-2018 Car is coming together. The fenders are temporarily on & the doors need minor adjustments. Motor & drive line are in & hooked up. Fuel system is complete tank to carb. Cooling is ready to go. Grill & all trim await the car being buffed & returned to the shop. Then the final assembly starts!
April 2018- Still waiting on paint detailer. The wheels got painted to match the body Gold. We had the exhaust system done (Thanks to Adam Lakewood Muffler!) While out on the trailer, we stopped by Lakewood Alignment & got the front end aligned. Back in the shop the final testing of systems is almost done. Then the motor starts!
Mocked up with headers before paint
1970 XR-7 351 Cleveland
Jeff had this waiting in his back yard. We went through the suspension & brakes first. The motor & trans were cleaned & a basic tune up done. Fast forward & the car is back with a new paint job & color!
The assembly is in progress 12-1-2018 waiting on painter to buff paint…